Thursday, May 03, 2007

Why Gloria Swanson Is always broke.



Gloria Swanson is Always Broke is an article basically about how despite Swanson becoming a movie star she was more poor then she was when she started. Gloria used to be content with the simple things in garments and house furnishings but now "All my salary goes for clothes or furniture. I buy much more expensive clothes than I should: much more expensive than I ever did before" Swanson never craved such expensive dresses which she could never afford until after she became a movie star and had to wear them around the set. Swanson became greedy for the finer things in life. Before becoming a movie star Swanson was one of the most contented and happy girls alive but then turned to being pathetic and crying at her poverty. I find it ironic that although Swanson became rich she was however poor. This teaches me one thing that my mother always tell me "Live Within your means."

1 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger A. Mattson said...

Your mother gives good advice. A good post.

The significance of this article has to do with the ability of the commercial mass media to create new desires, new needs that people could fulfill only though consumption, through purchase. The good life is being re-defined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home