Thursday, April 02, 2009

Love-making in movie theatres; it wasn't just our generation


As I read Czitrom's piece "Early Motion Pictures", I got a good laugh when I read about the darkness of the nickelodeon theatres. This is because I didn't expect to read the following line: "Jane Addams observed that 'the very darkness of the theatre is an added attraction to many young people, for whom the space is filled with the glamour of love-making'"(p.190). I thought this idea of "hooking up" in movie theatres was something that was only started by more recent generations and modern society. I would have never thought that even way back during the time of the first movie theatres that young people would be out making love in the dark. I just found this to be funny becuase it seems as if our modern society and generations are always bashed for doing "unclassy" things such as this, but in a sense, we're no different then the generations of the past.

1 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger A. Mattson said...

A very good post. Dark theaters provoked anxiety well before the advent of motion pictures. Popular theater has long been considered a source of immorality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home