Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Drawing the Color Line 1910"

Reading the article titled "Drawing the Color Line" opened my eyes extremely. The scenario that I read opened my eyes because I never thought about the idea of being black, paying the same money to see a movie as a white person and being treated or seated differently because of my God-given skin color. The first issue I had was how theaters were built; many of the theaters were built with balconies with their own entrances for white people. This was an outrage to me because I felt if the same money was being payed that the benefits should also be equal.

The next issue that surfaced for me was how many theater owners wanted to create a separation in the theater by hanging a curtain down the middle of the aisle. The hanging of the curtain was to prevent whites from feeling like they were sharing leisure experiences with blacks and to continue the ways of segregation. As time went on the ideas continued to grow and new ideas came about. Soon after changes also came around due to the growth of communication it changed alot of segregated ways and due to the growth of changes blacks and all people if different race, ethnic backgrounds, and gender all enjoy the same luxuries of life.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger A. Mattson said...

A good post, but always start with a short quotation to give the reader a sense of what you are discussing and cite the source clearly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home