Monday, February 04, 2008

Media Wars


I have to admit, I never really thought about the affect the industry has over what product makes it and what doesn't. That is until I purchased a new computer with Windows Vista.
After I made my purchase, I quickly found out that nothing was compatible with the new system. My MP3 player, that was only 2 years old, was considered obsolete. My scanner doesn't work, my camera doesn't work, and I needed to download a new program for my printer. I immediatley called up the companies of the products I owned and complained. Everyone told me that their was nothing that could be done and I would have to purchase everything all over again. How does something like this happen? Does the consumer have any say in it?
"To help you determine whether your computer can run Windows Vista and whether the applications you're currently using will work under Vista, Microsoft has created the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. This utility will analyze your system and give you a report about possible compatibility problems with your hardware and software." For more information and to download the Advisor, visit:
It's frustrating to even have to go through all of this, but hopefully the link above can help with any issue.

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger A. Mattson said...

You are describing a common frustration. These shifting standards and technologies come at us faster and faster.

You need to start with one of the assigned readings for your weekly post. Select a key quote and comment.

This kind of post is also interesting, but remember to show me that you are interecting with the course material as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home